Top 10 Dog Collars for German Shepherds
Alright! Now, let’s dive into the best product selection we researched for this topic.
When you’re looking to trick out your German Shepherd with a new collar, combining comfort and durability is always a delicate balance to strike. This leather collar from Pet Artists pulls this off in fine style.
The handle on the collar is ideally suited for training your pooch and the high-grade rivets make sure it won’t buckle under the pressure of your feisty pup.
As with all collars, you should measure your furball’s neck circumference then allow for two fingers of space and that should be a perfect fit guaranteed. This collar itself is guaranteed, too. Call in for a refund during the first 90 days after purchase if you’re not entirely satisfied. You can’t ask for more than that.
- Luxurious leather collar built to withstand some serious tugging
- Perfect fit for medium and large dogs including your German Shepherd
- 3-month satisfaction guarantee for complete peace of mind
Tactical collars work especially well with larger breeds like German Shepherds. Your dog gets a comfy collar while you get something that won’t collapse after a few uses.
Choose from black, brown, green, or camo depending on the character of your dog. You could even treat yourself to a handful of these cost-effective collars so you can ring the changes.
Sizing is as follows:
The metal buckles add further strength to the robust nylon and mean even the most boisterous German Shepherd won’t strain this highly effective collar.
- Range of military-inspired designs
- 1000-denier nylon to stand up to your lively larger dog
- Space for ID at the back in the case of emergency
Jiepai serve up a real bargain with this training leash and bungee leash attached to a first-class military dog collar.
Sized to fit your German Shepherd even if he’s fully grown, this nylon collar with reinforced metal studs is built to stay the distance while providing outstanding comfort along the way.
The D-ring allows you to attach another leash if the two options provided don’t sit well with your pooch.
For the perfect meeting point of comfort and durability, this collar is well worth popping on your shortlist.
- Supremely comfortable yet hard-wearing nylon comes fully adjustable for a close fit
- Double-handled training leash for maximum control
- Bungee leash for a more comfortable experience when walking your dog
Tactical dog collars work well to rein in the excesses of a German Shepherd. This strengthened webbing collar from Miles Tactical is a particularly fine example.
You can choose from a handful of muted colorways to do your pooch justice.
Your collar will be covered with a free replacement available during the first year if you encounter any problems. This shows the confidence the manufacturer has in this sturdy yet comfortable collar.
- High-grade webbing capable of taking some serious punishment
- Ring is reinforced and also includes space for an ID tag
- Buckle can withstand up to 4000 pound of force so ample for even the most aggressive and lively German Shep
If you fancy injecting a dose of color into your beloved German Shepherd’s life, why not invest in one of these heavy-duty martingale collars?
The rugged nylon is complemented by stainless steel and aluminum hardware so you won’t be menaced by the rust that degrades many cheaper collars.
Despite the vibrant coloring, these collars won’t run thanks to colorfast dye.
The martingale design is ideal if you’re training your dog since he has little chance of slipping your grasp when you’re strolling in the park.
- Available in a huge spectrum of colorways
- Various widths at your disposal
- Fits up to 26-inch neck so ideal for most German Shepherds
German Shepherds have a great deal of character and can carry off more flamboyant dog collars. This gold-plated stainless steel collar gives your pooch a sense of the streets.
The collar doesn’t just look good, though. The rugged design means you won’t end up with your German Shepherd slipping the leash or breaking the collar.
As an added incentive, you’ll qualify for a 60-day money back guarantee so you really have nothing to lose by giving this Abaxaca collar a shot.
- Fits up to 23 ½-inch neck size so works well with most German Shepherds
- Sleek and elegant look for special occasions yet comfy enough for everyday use
- Stainless steel so won’t rust or degrade
Another top-tier tactical collar, this nylon gem will make your German Shepherd feel like he’s not wearing a collar at all while you’ll be able to attach almost any type of leash to the strengthened D-ring and hit the road in style.
The buckle is designed to open and close in a flash so you won’t be fussing around when you’re getting in and out of the car.
With a band offering another layer of protection, you can walk your boisterous pooch with complete confidence using this collar.
- Quick-release buckle to streamline walkies
- D-ring attaches easily to any leash
- Dense and long-lasting nylon will stand up to your dog’s incessant pulling
The M1-K9 tactical collar is designed expressly for larger breeds like German Shepherds so you’ll get something fit to last.
The utility pouch bundled gives you adequate space for stashing the leash you also get with this military package.
A quick-release buckle is expressly designed to make your life easier and the nylon webbing will return years of faithful service.
For a cost-effective and comprehensive upgrade to walkies, try the M1-K9 and you won’t be disappointed.
- 6 colors to choose from for a spot of variety
- Storage pouch and lengthy 5-foot leash thrown in
- Tailor-made for larger breeds
If you’re hunting for a stars and stripes-themed collar, Diezel Pet Products manage to serve that up without the collar looking tacky. Yellow webbing comes emblazoned with the US flag for a powerful aesthetic.
The buckle on this facelifted collar has been further strengthened so you won’t have any issues with even the most willful German Shepherd.
Nylon webbing is highly padded so you ensure your beloved pooch gets comfort as well as security with this hardwearing and remarkably attractive collar ideal for German Shepherds.
- Works well for the largest breeds
- American theming for the patriots out there
- Collar is extra-wide and generously padded
If your German Shepherd needs some gentle and humane correction while training and you don’t fancy the idea of a static shock collar, this stainless steel pronged collar is an effective alternative.
The 9 prongs can each be removed if you want to adjust the sizing of this training collar.
Build quality is first-rate so you can expect this collar to stay the distance. Weighing roughly 300g, this is a weighty collar not ideal for pups or smaller breeds. Use it on your German Shepherd and see if you can get him more obedient.
- Prong collar can be useful for training your German Shepherd
- Rugged stainless steel build
- Prongs can be removed with pliers for a flexible training solution
Now we’ve broken down the best collars for your German Shepherd, what should you look for on the buying trail?
What To Look For When You’re Buying a Dog Collar for German Shepherds
The first thing you should focus on is what type of collar to buy for your German Shepherd.
Type of Collar
- Regular collar: These collars come with a simple D-ring so you can attach dog tags. This type of collar is only really suitable if your dog doesn’t tend to pull on his leash.
- Martingale collar: This cinching style of collar tightens when you yank the leash. This teaches your dog to relax while ensuring he doesn’t slip the leash. If you’re not a confident handler or your dog typically slips his leash, martingale collars make a smart solution.
- Training collar: Training collars are metal collars that tighten as your dog pulls. You need to know how to use one of these collars properly or you could end up injuring your precious pooch. You should never use a training collar on pups of 6 months or younger either. Their necks are still developing at this stage of life.
- Vibrating e-collar: Vibrating collars don’t impart a static shock so they’re considered safe and humane to use on your furball. Gentle correction should help teach him without causing any pain or discomfort.
- Gentle leader collar: This is a muzzle-style collar that wraps under your dog’s ears and around his head. This style of leash is ideal if your dog is constantly straining on the leash.
With that decision made, it’s time to double down on sizing…
German Shepherds have unique head styles and very thick necks. Getting the right collar is crucial so they don’t end up slipping the leash.
Here’s how to measure up for a collar:
- Measure the diameter of your dog’s neck halfway between the back of the head and the top of the shoulders.
- The collar should always rest on the middle of the nape. Your dog’s spinal nerves are located in the upper part of the neck.
- Allow at least 1 inch for leeway, equivalent to a couple of fingers between collar and neck.
- Make sure the collar is at least 1 inch wide.
Nylon works well for its combination of comfort and durability.
Stainless steel collars are exceptionally hardwearing and won’t rust out. These are especially effective if your dog has behavioral issues.
Leather collars look great, feel wonderful against the skin for your dog and are also built to last. The sole drawback is that you’ll need to dig a bit deeper for leather.
Loved this article? Make sure to share it with your friends!
Durability and comfort are the twin pillars that should guide you when you’re looking for the most effective collar for your German Shepherd.
Like any medium to large breed, you’ll need to make sure the collar is capable of withstanding a little rough and tumble without compromising comfort too much. Stick with any of the collars we highlight today and you’re in safe hands.
Bookmark our site here at Pet Gear Zone and come back soon. We’re currently working on a batch of the best products for cats, dogs, and tropical fish so make sure you pop back to see what else we have in store for you!